Watching the game Saturday, I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching a varsity/junior varsity game. Ohio State seemed faster, and stronger in almost every position. Here are some of the things I noticed.
- I know corner is not our strong spot, but you would think they would know how to stay home on the run. It seemed like everytime Ohio State ran the ball, it was bounced to the outside for a huge gain
- Staying on the topic of corners, they really do not like to turn around and find the ball. I am not going to try and sugar coat it, Noah Brown took them to school.
- Other than Emmanuel Beal, where is the speed from the LBs? Everything just looks in slow motion.
- Joe Mixon is our best running back. Same Perine is a good RB too, but lets compare stats. Perine- 33 carries 149 yards. 4.5 YPC (which is solid). Mixon- 29 carries 235 yards. 8.1 YPC. Stats don’t lie.
- A.D. Miller is going to be really really good.
- Cody Ford’s injury on the first drive killed the momentum and we had to settle for a field goal. (which was missed.)
- Baker Mayfield needs to be smarter with the ball. Love his ability to extend plays, but not give the ability to give the other team the ball.
- Everyone on defense misses a lot of tackles. Corners, linebackers, there seem to be a lot of missed tackles.
- We got outreached, and outplayed, tOSU was better all around.
I thought some of the play calling was also a little bit strange. It seemed like run-throw-throw almost every single drive. We don’t always have to start with a run up the gut. I love Mike Stoops, but rushing three guys does not seem to be working, we got almost no pressure on Barrett. The one time we brought pressure, Ahmad Thomas got a sack. One of the main problems is the lack of leadership. Somebody needs to step up and take the initiative. OU has got to get their stuff together if they want to be competitive at all in the Big 12.